Standing at 309.6 metres and dominating the London Skyline, The Shard is the tallest building in Europe and home to the amazing viewing gallery. Go shopping and grab a bite to eat in one of the 6 restaurants and bars before taking in the breath-taking London skyline in the view from the Shard observation gallery.
The Shard, also known as The Shard of Glass or Shard London Bridge, is a striking skyscraper and iconic landmark located in London, England. Here are some key facts and information about The Shard:
1. Design and Architecture: The Shard was designed by architect Renzo Piano and is characterized by its modern, glass-clad exterior. It stands at a height of 310 meters (1,016 feet), making it the tallest building in the United Kingdom and one of the tallest in Europe.
2. Location: The Shard is situated in the London Bridge Quarter area of Southwark, London. It is located near the historic Borough Market, the River Thames, and iconic landmarks like Tower Bridge and the Tower of London.
3. Shard of Glass: The building is often informally referred to as “The Shard of Glass” due to its distinctive glass façade, which gives it a shard-like appearance.
4. Mixed-Use Development: The Shard is a mixed-use development, with various purposes and functions. It houses offices, luxury apartments, a hotel, restaurants, and observation decks.
5. The View from The Shard: One of the major attractions within The Shard is “The View from The Shard,” an observation deck that offers breathtaking 360-degree views of London’s skyline. Visitors can enjoy panoramic vistas of the city from a height of 244 meters (800 feet).
6. Shangri-La Hotel: The Shard is home to the Shangri-La Hotel, a luxury hotel that occupies the building’s upper floors. The hotel offers upscale accommodations and dining with spectacular views.
7. Restaurants and Bars: The Shard features several restaurants and bars, including Aqua Shard, Hutong, and Oblix, where visitors can enjoy fine dining and cocktails while taking in the stunning views.
8. Sustainability: The Shard was designed with sustainability in mind. It incorporates numerous green features, such as rainwater harvesting, energy-efficient heating and cooling systems, and high-performance glass to reduce energy consumption.
9. Lighting: The Shard is illuminated at night with a dynamic lighting system that can display a variety of colors and patterns. It often hosts special lighting displays to mark significant events or celebrations.
10. Cultural Significance: The Shard has become an iconic symbol of modern London and is celebrated for its architectural design and contribution to the city’s skyline.
11. Transport: The Shard is easily accessible by public transportation, with London Bridge station located nearby, providing connections to various parts of London.
The Shard is not only an architectural marvel but also a popular destination for tourists and locals alike, offering spectacular views of London, dining options, and a unique perspective on the city’s ever-evolving skyline.